Wednesday, October 20, 2004

The best of the year so far

As October winds to a close I have to say there are five films that stand out as the best so far. In the order I saw them and the reactions I had to them at the time:

I loved The Dreamers. It was as if Bertolucci had looked into my soul and understood why I love moviesasm much I do, and understood how people filter their world view through the movies that affect them.

Kill Bill. Tarantino proved that regardless of his substantial skills as a filmmaker, he is first and foremost a writer. For more click here.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Charlie Kaufman managed to create a post-modern Annie Hall which is rather impressive considering Annie Hall was itself post-modern.

Before Sunset. Richard Linklater has come up with the best American film since Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia. For a full review written by yours truly click here.

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster masterfully presents the complicated relationships between the members of the band and offers a textbook example of how to edit a documentary.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home