Thursday, September 22, 2005

The Aristocrats Review

I like to avoid using physical sensations to describe my reaction to films. The exception to my personal rule if if I actually experience what I said I did. When I left The Aristocrats my stomach hurt from laughing so hard. Not that I laughed throughout, although I certainly smiled all the way through. But when you laugh at this film you can't help but have it be the kind of laugh that shakes you to the core. The film gives the viewer insight into what makes jokes funny and why people laugh at the most disturbing things imaginable. Comic Paul Provenza and comic magician Penn Jillette videotaped dozens of famous comedians telling and explaining the joke (a joke I won't repeat here). The joke requires thinking up the most disgusting acts imaginable in order to maximize the punchline. All I can say is that the film entertained me to no end. Highlights include Steven Wright, the South Park version of the joke, and Dana Gould's Amish version. And special credit goes to Sarah Silverman for being the only one in the film to come up with an element that made me cringe with discomfort. (it involves her brother - and I doubt it's what you think it is).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home