Friday, February 25, 2005

Oscar Predictions and Wishes

Best Supporting Actress
This is one of the very close calls. I think Cate Blanchett will edge out Virginia Madsen, but it would not surprise me if it went the other way. If I were voting, I'd have a difficult time deciding between Blanchett and Natalie Portman and in my heart of hearts honestly I would probably vote for Natalie Portman who really pulls off the trick of playing a character who is inscrutable to everyone (including the audience) but herself.
Best Supporting Actor
It sure seems like Morgan Freeman will take it and while I have zero problem with that my vote would go to Clive Owen.
Best Actress
Hilary Swank should become the second youngest two-time Best Actress winner on Sunday (Jodie Foster was younger when she won her second for The Silence of the Lambs). I suppose Annette Bening still has an outside chance to upset her, but it doesn't feel like it's going to happen. My vote would go to Kate Winslet who captures every thing that would draw someone to the character while being repelled by her simultaneously.
Best Actor
Jamie Foxx will win this. Two months ago I would have voted for him as well but I admit I'm getting burned out on seeing him everywhere and out of protest I might have voted for Clint Eastwood who allowed himself to crack his movie-star image and give a real actor's performance.
Best Original Screenplay
If there is any justice in the world the most creative screenwriter in the business, Charlie Kaufman, will win for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I suppose The Incredibles and The Aviator have slight upset potential. I would have voted for Kaufman.
Best Adapted Screenplay
This should be the only award of the night for Sideways. My vote would go to the trio who wrote Before Sunset, the best film of the decade.
Best Director
My head says it will be Eastwood and my heart says it will be Scorsese. I'm going to go with my head on this, that way if Scorsese wins I'll be so happy I won't care if I'm wrong.
Best Picture
While I would have voted for The Aviator, it is to me easily the best film of the five, I fully expect to see Million Dollar Baby take the big one. If it doesn't, expect The Aviator to be the winner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home