Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Madagascar

Dreamworks animated films fall into one of two categories. Either they are overly serious, stultifying bores like Prince of Egypt and Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron or they are overly frenetic incessant in-your-face supposed-family friendly fare like the Shrek films and the truly horrible Shark Tale. Madagascar offers a few quiet moments that allow actually characters to develop, but it still is firmly entrenched in the ritalin-needed school of Dreamworks style. There are throwaway pop-culture jokes that are there for no reason other then to make adults recognize them, and there are montages where you just want to slap the screen to get it to calm down. That said, the film almost gets by on two interesting performances. Chris Rock manages some interesting work as Marty the zebra, showing a depth he's never revealed in his live-action work. However the real star of the show is Sacha Baron Cohen (Ali G). He gives the kind of performance that will keep an actor employed in animated films for a very long time. He's almost enough to recommend the film. Had the movie followed through on the interesting thematic issues it raises it might have been able to keep company with the Pixar films, but instead it settles for more frantic schtick.

1 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I agree with you on Madagascar. The secondary characters were far more interesting than the four main characters (although, as much as I can't stand David Schwimmer, I did laugh/smile at most of his lines).

Tom McGrath (Skipper, the penguin), Ali G. (Lemur King) and Cedric the Entertainer (Maurice, the Lemur King's assistant) were terrific and made me laugh out loud.

I think the biggest problem with DreamWorks is their films lack the "heart" that Disney/Pixar films have. While Shrek had heart, Shrek 2 was so impressed with itself in just how clever it was, they forgot what made the first film so wonderful.

DreamWorks films don’t spend a lot of time developing the characters—we are “told” what the characters are about, but rarely shown (I’ll spare the details—but watch them and it’s easy to see). I was looking forward to Madagascar as I thought they had figured this out and solved the problem, but when I was smiling at Schwimmer’s lines, I knew there was trouble.

I know it’s a cartoon, but how does a Zebra build a cantina with no opposable thumbs? I guess if they had done a better job with the film and I really cared about these characters, I wouldn’t be thinking about that, would I?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home