Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Dark Water

I don't care for J-Horror films to begin with, and I really don't care for American remakes of them. Add that to the fact that Jennifer Connelly is the worst actress alive and you would think there would be no way I could enjoy Dark Water. For the most part, that is true. However, watching John C. Reilly play an unctuous real estate guy produces some welcome amusement, and seeing Tim Roth play a regular guy was a powerful reminder of what a great screen presence he is. I miss Tim Roth, I wish he worked more often and in more high-profile gigs. His job here serves a purpose not unlike the psychiatrist at the end of Psycho, but even though he is little more than a device to finally explain what is going on he seems like a real person. And when he and Reilly finally get to play a scene together in the film's final act...well that's just kind of like acting crack for me. So no, I don't recommend the film but for all those who miss the remarkable skill of Tim Roth as much as I do you might just think of the film as time well spent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home